What Teachers Need to Understand

Teachers are great, we are not bashing teachers by any stretch of the imagination. FUN FACT: Both of our parents are teachers.Teachers are smart, important, and care about their students. These are just some things that don't come with a degree and are not always common knowledge. It took us years to understand these things also. The only reason we are putting this up is because teachers play such a huge role in kids and young adults lives and this information may be helpful for somebody out there.
Accommodations are Necessary 
Student try to cheat the system, that is a very valid point. We have seen students try to cheat the system. Given this it is important to be able to separate out student who want extra time to complete homework the procrastinated on, and students that could not complete their homework for medical reasons. The reason that that is important is because a lot of students are afraid to use them. We don't want to be seen as lazy, incompetent, or like we are trying to cheat the system. We just want to be like everybody else but sometime that is not possible and in those cases ACCOMMODATIONS ARE NECESSARY.
Don't Stare 
We have both have had teachers stare at us. You know its going to happen when you are requested to sit front and center. You may be twitching or wearing braces or just semi lethargic. These impairments do not alter brain capacity. This means that when you stare at me, I am fully aware of what is happening. I never say anything because either I am used to it or I am to afraid to say anything because you determine my grade and therefore my future. This means that you have all the power and therefor the responsibility, use it, DON'T STARE.
Students Stare, it Happens 
I know that we just told you not to stare, but we can't stop them. Even if you think you are helping, teacher intervention usually makes it worse. I am also used to peers staring at me so I know how to handle the situation better then you do. STUDENTS STARE, IT HAPPENS.
If you Have a Question it's Okay to Ask (within reason)
I know my medical problems are weird. People have question, even I have questions. We can't stop the questions and that okay, we don't mind answering within limits. (See "Everything You Want to Know") which is a previous blog post. Asking questions to clarify is always acceptable. There is a huge difference between asking and judging. We are interesting, and are more than happy to tell you about it, JUST ASK.
I Know my Limits
We have been living with ourselves for many years. If I show up to your class its because I think I can be there. I know myself better than anybody. Even if I can't be there, I know if I don't show up then there will be other ramifications. You don't want me to jeopardize my health, yet you don't want me to miss class. That sounds great, sign me up. This is what we want also, this is an ideal world with no heath problems. We would love to be there but if we have made it to college like this then clearly WE KNOW OUR LIMITS.
Don't Announce 
It is against the law to announce my medical problems in class. We have both had our medical problems announced in class. The intentions of the teacher don't matter, this is illegal. I don't want to be an example, a cautionary tale, or a pillar of hope. I just want to be the student in the second row third over from the left. I am taking the same class as everyone else, I am in the same school as every else here, and everyone has different circumstances. I should be no different. I am here to learn, school is school, and personal is personal so DON'T ANNOUNCE.

School should be accessible to everybody, including people with disabilities.

WE BELIEVE IN YOU
Tremors and Nemo


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"WHY WOULD I WANT TO DATE YOU?"

Things Professors Have Said...

Service Dog and Medical Leave