Yay Treatment Day

Tremors here.  Currently I am writing from my hospital bed, but before you freak out, it was planned.  I receive infusions every five weeks.  Most people say something along the lines of "every five weeks isn't too bad" or "it gives you a lot of free time."  Yes because giving up every fifth weekend is something I love doing.  I mean I have been doing this for a little over a year now.  Of course I would rather be hooked up to an IV pole for hours on end instead of hanging out with friends.  I receive an infusion of IVIG, which amazingly stops the muscle spasms that I have for four to four and a half weeks.  I would explain how this all works, but the doctors don't know, so I don't know.  Being stuck in a hospital bed for any stretch of time is no fun.  I think that anyone who has spent time in one will admit that.

For me a weekend of IVIG consists of...
Getting to the hospital at 9 am
Hoping to get into a room before 12 pm
Crossing fingers that you get your port accessed before 3 pm so your IVIG can start before 5pm
Hoping that you can go home as planned and not have any major complications

There are also other hopes, including that you do not get labeled as a fall risk. (Lucky me--just got labeled as one.  I mean you fall one time, but that's another story) You hope that there is something good on TV, because other wise you are in big trouble.  You hope that the food is edible and that the snacks you bring are not finished by who is staying with you.  You hope that you don't get super sick, and that you can get some freedom.  (Walking the halls, going on patios, being able to go to the bathroom on your own, you hit a point where you are not super picky)

I mean the hospital isn't a super fun place to spend a weekend.  I'm a frequent flyer.  Everyone from nurses, to food service, to security guards, to volunteers know me now.  That's what you get when you are like this. You make a new family almost.  The nurses hug you, show you pictures of their kids and ask how your school work is coming along.  When you are stuck here enough you know the good channels and movies.  You know what to bring, because now you have a go to hospital bag.  You just have to accept that it is going to happen and go YAY TREATMENT DAY.

Take it day by day

WE BELIEVE IN YOU!

Tremors and Nemo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"WHY WOULD I WANT TO DATE YOU?"

Things Professors Have Said...

Service Dog and Medical Leave