Four Paws In The Dorm

              I am officially back at school and so is secret agent puppy. He has taken to college life like a pro, although he was raised on a college campus so he really is a pro. Aside from everybody loving him because he is cute, fun loving, and a dog, he does a lot everyday to earn his spot. While people think  am taking my dog because I felt like getting a pet, the truth is, he is the reason I got to come back from medical leave and can go to class.  He has always proven how valuable he is and this week has been no different, in fact he has even stepped it up a notch. I think he knows without my mom I will try to break the rules (he is having none of it).
             When I drop something he picks them up because I can't. He braces when my heart rate spikes and I could pass out. He lays across me when my joints hurt to provide warmth and pressure. He tells me when I forget my pills which is good unless I am working on major denial. He opens doors with the handicap button when every joint hurts. He closes doors and drawers when I can't get out of bed. He braces when I forget that I can't shouldn't get on the floor because I can't get up. Aside from doing all of this he is also my best friend and just makes college a whole lot better.
        The first time that he really saved me this week when when I was in an 8AM class. He was in a perfect down stay as he should be until he got up and went to my side. He put his head on my lap and was staring in to my eyes. When I tried to put him back in to a down stay he wouldn't go. Instead he tried to nudge me and when I wasn't listening he started nudging tremors who was sitting next to me. Not even five minutes later the room went fuzzy, I started spasming and I felt like I was going to pass out. My HR was sky high. With his warning I knew 1. DON'T GET UP, and 2. TAKE YOUR MEDS. That whole class he sat between our two chairs nudging the chair legs and staring up. With the water I was able to bring my HR down, but now I know the second he gets up to nudge me that it is time to take meds and drink water.
           The second time he saved me this week he wasn't even on duty. It was 11:30 at night and I was taking him outside to go to the bathroom. Going down the stairs was fine but coming up was not as great. I got approximately four steps up when he stopped dead in his tracks. When I stopped because I couldn't move without him I realized I could feel my heart in my throat and it was racing. I sat down and eventually when I got up he went one stair at a time with no direction providing support even as people passed. We had to stop four times walking up one flight of stairs. When I got up my heart rate was 120, it is usually in the 40's or 50's. When we got back to the room he closed the door picked my shoes up and wouldn't leave me to do anything until I was in bed. This is why he is allowed to live in the dorm, he may be cute and cuddly but he is my lifeline, and now that my mom isn't here he is also my babysitter making sure I don't break the rules. Unfortunately he is not afraid to tattle.
               Most people think puppy works all day but that could not be farther from the truth. He is a typical college student in a dorm, he works hard and he plays hard. The only difference is that he also gets to sleep hard. I spend hours doing homework while he is sleeping and chewing on a stuffed doughnut, I would be totally fine to switch places as long as it was a real doughnut. My theory is if he can be a college student I can turn a toy doughnut into a real one. He helped decorate the room (thats why his picture is everywhere). He went to the dorm meeting and greeted everybody living on the second floor, one of which even gave him the stuffed doughnut he chews on all day. He sleeps in a dorm bed (not his bed). I got a single but I don't get a bed, he took it. He wakes up for 8AM classes, and then sleeps through them like the rest of us. He enjoys class break time aka he gets up and greets EVERYBODY. He goes to the dining hall where waits for someone to drop food and hope I don't say leave it. He is even the new TA for lab. Most importantly, he sleeps all day on the weekends. He is a true sleep deprived college student and it is only week one.




Comments

  1. This blog post warms my heart :) Dogs are just the best, there’s really no other way to put it. I’m glad you’re able to get through college thanks to this furry hero! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

"WHY WOULD I WANT TO DATE YOU?"

Things Professors Have Said...

Service Dog and Medical Leave