When a Girl Loses her Hair

Tremors here today.  No one ever thinks that they will lose their hair.  Hair loss is seen as a laughing matter, and those who are experiencing hair loss (usually old, fat men) are made fun of for not having a full head of hair.  I (Tremors) started losing my hair in middle school.  One day I woke up and found out that I had two bald spots on the back of my head.  I was then diagnosed with alopecia.  Alopecia is a common autoimmune disease that causes hair loss that can range from just the scalp, to the entire body.  Later, I found out that my alopecia was related to my Satoyoshi Syndrome (We found this out when I was in high school).  Each bald spot on my scalp was around the size of a quarter more or less.  From there, my hair loss changed and the bald spots would create different patterns on my head.  I tried all different treatments to try to keep my remaining hair, and grow back what I lost.  My head was burned, poked and prodded.  Eventually I decided that I had enough, and accepted my alopecia.  After four years of alopecia, I shaved my head.  I started to wear wigs, and told some friends about my hair.  Now, still with a shaved head, I wear wigs at times, but stick mainly to hats.  I am open with about my alopecia, and no longer let it define me.  Alopecia has been a part of my life for six long years, it’s not going to control me for any longer.  
Here are two pictures of my hair loss in the past.  Alopecia is always changing, and you never know what is going to happen next.



Of course, alopecia isn’t always fun.  Here are some downsides, some being more obvious than others

  1. Treatments
    1. These treatments are the biggest pains.  First, there are the Rogaine foams/liquids that are just plain annoying.  They do not stay on your head, and honestly did not do anything for me.  Then there are the shots in the scalp, which of course are just what you want once a month.  And it’s not like you just get one shot and it’s done.  NO, you get easily 10+ shots in one sitting.  Then there is the tar.  I call it the tar, because my dermatologist who we will call Felix called it the tar.  Felix had me put this on my bald spots every night for 10 minutes and then slowly increase the time before washing it out.  A) This was a green, smelly paste that was plain GROSS.  B) The thought behind the tar is that the tar will burn the scalp which will magically stimulate hair growth.  Let’s say that my scalp looked like a tomato and I stopped doing that.  
  2. The looks/comments
    1. Just like with any condition, bald / balding people get looked at.  We are often mistaken for cancer patients, or people think that we have just lost our minds.  Also, people can be rude.
  3. Self-esteem
    1. When I started losing my hair I was in middle school.  I was terrified that someone in my school would find out.  As my hair continued to fall out I was worried that someone would see the bald patches and judge me.  Thankfully, I was lucky to avoid a lot of that.  
  4. The weather
    1. I’ll put it out there that hair was not intended to be a fashion statement.  Hair was meant to insulate the head and keep the body warm.  Now that I have little hair on my head, I can understand why/how hair is important on your head.  Some days my head is FREEZING.  When fall/winter rolls around, the beanies make an appearance.  

Even though people think that losing your hair is only bad, there are some perks (for lack of a better word).  

  1. NO bad hair days
    1. I know that losing your hair causes some not so great hair days, now I can either pop on a wig, or a hat.  
  2. NO more buying shampoo/conditioner
    1. Seriously, saving so much money on that one, that can get expensive FAST.  
  3. NO more haircuts
    1. Saving some more time/money here
  4. (possibly) NO more shaving
  5. NOT having hair get stuck in the shower drain
    1. Hairballs are nasty.  No hair = no hairballs in the drain.  
  6. NO lice
    1. Honestly, this one might be the best.  When I heard there was a lice outbreak at a summer camp I worked at, I was the lucky one who did not have to worry.  
  7. Getting to wear some pretty sweet hats/wigs
    1. While they aren’t for everyone, and not even myself at all times, there are always a million different options.  I mean, do you go bald, with a hat, a wig, the options are endless.  You can be blonde one day, have red hair the next, even blue.  
  8. Being a part of a new community
    1. From the interaction I have had with the alopecia community (mainly online support groups) it is a tight knit, and close group.  They are all supportive, since they all understand what is going on to an extent.  

Hair loss isn’t fun.  It also isn’t something that many can understand.  I have learned who I can trust and who my true friends are through all of this.  


WE BELIEVE IN YOU!

Nemo and Tremors

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"WHY WOULD I WANT TO DATE YOU?"

Things Professors Have Said...

Service Dog and Medical Leave